You should be careful when operating the adapters, in order to prevent any
damage to your drive or your adapter. The following general rules apply to all
of the XA1541, the XM1541, the XU1541 and the XUM1541 (ZoomFloppy) devices,
unless specified otherwise.
- Do not plug or unplug any cables to the floppy drive when the drive is powered
on or the XU1541, XUM1541, or ZoomFloppy is connected to a PC via USB, or the
XA1541 is connected to the PC via the parallel port. When the USB based adapters
are plugged into USB, they are powered on and could zap your drive if you
connect or remove a floppy drive. This is also the same way you should treat
floppy drives attached to your Commodore computers.
- Do not attach more than 4 floppy drives to a single ZoomFloppy. For the other
adapters (XU1541, general XUM1541, XA1541 or XM1541), other limits may be valid.
If you need more drives, get another ZoomFloppy or other adapter. The OpenCBM
softare allows you to use more than one adapter at the same time (subject to
PC performance limitations). These can be multiple adapters of the same type, or
of different ones.
- Do not connect more than one drive to the XU1541, XUM1541, ZoomFloppy, or
XAP1541/XMP1541 parallel ports. While there are multiple connectors, only one
should be used at a time. Otherwise, chances are you will damage your floppy
- When accessing floppy drives, all devices connected to the same IEC bus must be
turned on. Even if you are only going to use one drive, for example, all other
connected drives must also be turned on. Unpowered IEC devices may interfere
with proper operation of other drives.
- Be careful of static electricity discharge when plugging/unplugging any
electronic components. Consider getting a case for your XU1541, XUM1541 or
ZoomFloppy board if you are concerned about the environment you will be using it